Friday 9 October 2015

Worst or the Coolest?



If you have read my other posts then you know about the difficulties I have raising my daughter. It is not because of other complications like being single. The fact of the matter is Parenting is tough.

I tell the truth when she asks me  difficult-to-answer questions. Once she asked me how they take babies from mommies and I told her the truth (skipping the gory part of course) I even showed her my stitches when we discussed this. She was just six but she came to me to ‘talk’ to ‘know.’


I don’t worry about her health too much. Some parents freak out if their kids fall and hurt themselves. I am one of the kind that high fives her after a fall. If she is in pain I tell her what to do next.


And how do I make her do something like eating her meal or bathing? I tell her if she doesn’t do it then she can forget about her tab that day. It works like magic.

No matter how smart you think you are, or how better you think you are than your own parent or how many hours you spend reading about parenting - you are never prepared for times of struggle.


I lose my temper sometimes especially in the mornings. I yell at her or do something which I regret later. But recently I learnt a trick (actually a truth… in a weird way)



My daughter is my E.T.!


You don’t get mad at E.T. if he spills milk or refuses to eat or cries like a baby to take a bath. When she does something that upsets me I tell myself that she’s new to this planet and has just started learning ‘our ways’ This single thought has changed our relationship in a big way. Most of all it has taught me to be more patient. That’s the key to be a good parent.

So when I see her as an alien from a far off planet the things that normally makes me mad at her don’t anymore.  

 I could be wrong about all this.

But as the child learns to be, so do we about being a parent.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm bad and know you're cool! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. We need to tutor them that falling is part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sowmya! sorry for the delay i guess i didn't check my mail. Thank you for your confirmation of my parenting style. It means a lot to me, coming from a "role model" mom like you!

      Delete
  4. ஒரு ஊரில் இரு பறவைகள் நன்றாக பறந்து ,உணவை உண்டு அதை சேகரித்து வந்தன..ஒரு பறவை அந்த பாதையில் போகவேண்டாம் இப்படி வா என்று அழைத்தால் மற்ற பறவை செல்லத்தான் வேண்டும் ....அதை ஊரில் ஒரு பறவை இருந்தது அப்பறவை எங்கும் செல்லும் தடை இல்லை ..எவ்வேலையும் காதலித்து செய்தால் தோல்வியே இல்லை ...உன்னை காதலி அப்புறம் பார

    ReplyDelete

Feminism? No, thank you!

  Feminist, I was. Most of the days, there I was in college reading silently books and magazines that talked about the feminist movement and...